At our core, Simtech Solutions Inc. is a cause-driven technology services provider with a passion for developing innovative technologies to help people experiencing homelessness. Examples of our work include:
- Simtech Solutions is a pioneer in the usage of data analysis to guide the process of allocating limited housing resources. In 2002, Simtech Solutions developed the first HMIS data warehouse in the nation. The research conducted within the warehouse helped propel the Housing First movement by effectively demonstrating the substantial cost savings realized from providing housing to frequent users of shelter and emergency care services. HUD recognized this early work by awarding the community of Quincy, MA with the 2008 Advanced Data Users Award.
- The US Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) tapped Simtech as primary authors of reporting specifications and data exchange formats relied on by Homeless Management Information Systems (HMIS). Key work includes the Annual Performance Report (APR) Programming Specifications as well as the HUD CSV Exchange Format used to standardize data exchange.
- Developers of the Counting Us mobile app used by thirty-one (31) regions to conduct the 2018 Point-in-Time homeless census in real-time. Recognized by HUD and CityLab, this work is having an unprecedented impact on the integrity of our nation's homeless count.
- Over 3,900 projects that serve the homeless around the US rely on HomelessData.com to measure the impact of their work, guide the decision-making process with evidence, and to meet the stringent HMIS reporting requirements of HUD.
- Architects of a technical framework capable of coordinating the efforts of navigators, frontline staff, outreach workers, and first responders as they move people towards stable housing. Simtech's framework leverages the work already being done in HMIS for those in shelter while providing the Show the Way mobile app as an access point to coordinated entry for those living on the streets. More details can be found in the Rethinking the Homelessness Response Framework white paper.
- The Counting Us mobile app, and the "by name lists" managed within HomelessData.com, were rapidly deployed in Houston and the Texas Balance of State CoCs to aid in the disaster recovery from Hurricane Harvey.
- Simtech worked with Texas Homeless Network (THN) to conduct a statewide analysis on the impact of Hurricane Harvey on the homeless system in Texas. The results of the study are being used to appeal for additional funds to provide targeted assistance to those who became homeless as a result of this natural disaster. Simtech performed similar work with Ventura County, CA after the region was ravaged by wildfires. The results of both studies were shared at the National Human Services Data Consortium (NHSDC) conference in Pittsburgh, PA.
- The Homeless Action Network of Detroit tasked Simtech to provide virtual training, guidance, and support to staff on usage of data visualization tools such as Tableau. The training process culminated with the creation of these project-performance dashboards geared to identifying the projects that are having the most influence on their System Performance Measure (SPM) results.
- HUD licensed the HMIS Report Generation Tool developed by Simtech Solutions to help communities demonstrate the impact of the $1.5 billion in Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing (HPRP) funds that were allocated to them in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis.
Contact Us if you would like to discuss how Simtech Solutions' tools and services can support the work of ending homelessness in your community.